For me, I got a late start. To the person who owns the place I’m staying, I was up way early. I rented the place through AirBNB. I told him I woke up at 3:30 am and tried to go back to sleep. He was surprised I didn’t wake up at 3:30 pm because of jetlag. Jetlag didn’t affect my last year in South Korea, and so far so good.

It is nearing midnight while I write this and I only got in about 90 minutes ago. I have to be at the bus station at 7:45 am for my Highlands Tour. So I’ll make this quick.


I got to Old Town Edinburgh around 9:30. It was a cool misty morning with heavy cloud coverage. The first thing I took notice of was a huge monument. I started taking photos of it before realizing to whom it belonged. Funny enough, the monument was already on my itinerary: the Sir Walter Scott monument.


After that, I walked around in a distracted way because I was so enthralled with everything. Edinburgh is just so absolutely beautiful. I finally reined myself in and forced my steps toward Edinburgh Castle, which was the primary item on my list.

I made it to the castle. I was greeted by the statues of Robert the Bruce and William Wallace. It was something you would see on a movie—like “Lord of the Rings” or “Never Ending Story”.

The castle was massive. I tried to scour every inch. I roamed the outer courts and took photos. Went inside the War Memorial. Saw the Crown Jewels (the actual crowns jewels, not those crown jewels, you sicko). The sword was huge (the actual sword, you freak). Checked out the Great Hall with its great fireplace.


Once I spent several hours at the castle, I made my way out toward St. Giles’ Cathedral. Literally, my mind was blown. This cathedral was absolutely incredible, but it makes sense due to the fact that Queen Elizabeth actually visits this church. Its impeccable ceiling and stained glass windows would leave you floored. There was also a side chapel designated for royalty. It still can’t wrap my head around all of it. (All those photos are on my main camera and not on my iPhone.)

Shortly after, I visited the Writer’s Museum, which focused on three great Scottish writers: Scott, Robert Burns, and Robert Louis Stevenson. It was a very neat little place.


After the cathedral, I grabbed lunch at a nice little place called Deacon’s House. The food was good and filling. From there, I roamed the streets and made my way to the Holyrood Park and climbed Arthur’s Seat to get the best view in Edinburgh. My legs were devastated.

Honestly, I don’t know how many miles I walked today, but if I were to guess, I’d say 416, give or take. I took a lot of pictures while atop the cliff and ran across to the other side to take photos of the remains of St. Anthony’s Chapel.


I walked back through Holyrood Park, over to the Palace of Holyroodhouse where British Royalty stays and took a few photos. I was aiming to go to The Calton Hill, but ended up walking right next to what I had on my itinerary: the Greyfriars Kirkyard, which is a really old cemetery. I took a few photos and made the trek to The Calton Hill. It was dusk, which made photographing the area and downtown Edinburgh really worth it.

It was dark by the time I got down from The Calton Hill. I grabbed food at a nice place called Howie’s, then jumped on the bus and came home.


Last night was my first night here and I had to wait in Leith, which is just North Edinburgh, for the owner of the place to come home from work. I stopped by a great little spot on the river called Malt and Hops for my first beer in Edinburgh. Struck up conversations and made new friends. It was all I have come to expect here: nice people and beautiful scenery.